Sunday, February 5, 2012

Spicy Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip

I am a little late in posting a recipe for Superbowl Sunday seeing as the Superbowl is on my TV as we speak.  Most of you (at least those of you who like football) are probably sitting in front of your TV noshing on Superbowl snacks you prepared earlier and are not thinking about dips to be made.  I, on the other hand, don't know much about football, so while it is on the TV, I am going to take a few minutes to tell you about my new favorite go-to dip.  Now, I realize that you probably can't make it for tonight, but you can keep it in mind for other days when game-worthy or crowd pleasing food is needed.


My husband, like many football fans, thinks that Superbowl Sunday is incomplete without snacks, preferably at least one in dip form.  I usually make a very tasty spinach and artichoke dip worthy of such occasions, but today, I opted to try something different.  And I am so glad I did!  It was fantastic.  Creamy.  Spicy.  Cheesy.  Everything you could want in a dip, plus it had spinach which made me feel that I wasn't straying too far from tradition.  


The original recipe came from Southern Living magazine Dec. 2010 and is posted here.  I will also post it below.  I made the dip following most of the ingredients, but I did leave out the wine and onion.  I used a locally-made breakfast sausage.  If you have frozen spinach on hand rather than fresh, I think it could be used with no major difference in flavor or texture.  

Spicy Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip- slightly adapted from Southern Living

1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 pound hot bulk breakfast sausage
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
8 oz cream cheese, softened
6 oz baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Crumble the sausage into a large skillet set on medium-high heat.  Add the red bell pepper and cook until the sausage is browned, stirring frequently to break it into small pieces.  Add the garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute.  Lower the heat to medium and add the cream cheese.  Cook 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts completely.  Add the spinach and salt and stir to mix thoroughly.  Cook 2 minutes until the spinach wilts.  Stir in the beans.  Carefully pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and melted.  Serve with corn chip scoops, tortilla chips, or vegetable sticks for dipping.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something we would really like. Creamy cheese, beans, and spicy sausage sound like a winning combination to me. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete