Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chicken Curry with Green Beans

So I have to begin by saying that I have seen a lot of green beans in the past few weeks.  They are in season right now, and there are huge baskets of them at the farmer's market just calling my name.  I had already put up five quarts  of frozen green beans but just couldn't resist getting a little more today when I visited the market.  I love having them tucked away in the freezer not to mention the fact that I am completely obsessed with purchasing produce.  I love to shop for produce like other people love to shop for ipads or clothing (at least produce is cheaper).  So upon seeing these beans today, I decided to freeze a few more bags but kept some out for dinner to add to this curry saute.  


This is one of my favorite go-to dinners when I am a little short on time but want something flavorful and relatively healthy.  You can use a variety of veggies in this dish, anything from small green peas to butternut squash.  Just choose whatever is in season that you like.  Today, of course, I went with the green bean.  

The original recipe came from a book titled Sara Foster's Casual Cooking, but I have changed it a lot to fit my needs and tastes.  The original recipe called for twice the amount of meat that I use.  I prefer to use equal parts meat and vegetable instead.  It begins with 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts which have been thinly sliced.  I try to buy locally raised chicken when possible, but these were organic from the grocery.  The chicken gets lightly browned in a little olive oil.  In the meantime, the trimmed green beans get blanched and tossed into an ice bath (this can be done ahead of time).  Once the chicken is browned, a sauce is made in the same pan and everything gets mixed together along with some mango chutney.  On a side note, I have a recipe for preserved mango chutney I am dying to try, but tonight I had to use the store-bought stuff.  Maybe next time.  


What you end up with is a saute of chicken and green beans (or veg of choice) in a slightly spicy, slightly sweet sauce.  All it needs is a little spinkling of sliced almonds and cilantro and a side of rice or couscous to soak up the sauce.  I recently cleaned out my cabinets and found an unopened bag of a couscous and grain blend from Trader Joe's which is what we ate it with tonight.  Fast, full of vegetables, and tasty.  What more could you ask for?  Well...

  

Curried Chicken Saute with Green Beans- serves 4

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I use lite)
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp mango chutney
2 cups green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces and blanched
Cilantro, chopped
Toasted sliced almonds (cashews or sesame seeds also work)
Kosher salt and black pepper

Heat oil in skillet on medium high and add chicken.  Cook chicken 2 minutes on each side.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add onion and cook several minutes until tender.  Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.  Add curry and lime zest and juice and stir to combine.  Reduce heat to low.  Add chicken and green beans and simmer several minutes until the green beans are tender but still crunchy.  Stir in the mango chutney and cook 1 minute.  Serve sprinkled with cilantro and almonds. 






3 comments:

  1. I like to roast a chicken every couple of weeks. I bet this would also be a good use for the leftover meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it would be excellent with the leftovers. Let me know how it goes if you decide to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Like Johanna, I roast a chicken on a fairly regular basis, so I was thinking this would work with leftovers, too!

    ReplyDelete